The central forum for coordination with the state archives of the federal states is the KLA, which meets twice a year. However, the Federal Archives also maintain close professional relations with numerous other institutions. With some partners, cooperation agreements have been signed, setting out common objectives and the partners' respective rights and obligations. One contribution of the Federal Archives within such cooperations may be to waive fees for the provision of federal archival material. In return, there must be an evident benefit for the Federal Archives obtained by the cooperation and goals must be achieved that would not be accomplished without the partner's contribution.
The following is a selection of existing cooperations and institutional partners:.
- Bundesstiftung zur Aufarbeitung der SED-Diktatur (Federal Foundation for the Reappraisal of the SED Dictatorship): Collaboration in building the website "Aufbruch und Einheit. Die letzte DDR-Regierung" (Departure and Unity. The last GDR government)
- Deutsche Nationalbibliothek (German National Library): Virtual exhibtion "Künste im Exil" (Arts in Exile)
- Haus der Geschichte der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (House of the History of the Federal Republic of Germany) and Deutsches Historisches Museum (German Historical Museum): Composition and operation of LeMO (Living Museum Online)
- Institut für Zeitgeschichte (Institute of Contemporary History): Several joint projects, including the edition "Die Verfolgung und Ermordung der europäischen Juden durch das nationalsozialistische Deutschland 1933-1945" (The Persecution and Murder of European Jews by National Socialist Germany 1933-1945)
- International Tracing Service (ITS): Institutional partnership in the framework of the work of the International Committee
- KNAW-NIOD Institute for War, Holocaust and Genocide Studies (and many other institutions): Consortium partnership in the EU-project EHRI (European Holocaust Research Infrastructure)
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM): Reproductions and use of archival material
- Universität Bonn (University of Bonn): Participation in the master programme "Historisch-Politische Studien" ("Historical Political Studies")