The reference code of archive material is made up of three parts:
- The official abbreviation for the Federal Archives is “BArch”. Please only use this abbreviation to avoid misunderstandings.
- The archive reference code (= fonds reference and – separated by a forward slash – the archive number).
- You should also indicate the folio or page number where available. In the case of foliation, each leaf is numbered. In the case of pagination, each individual side of a sheet is numbered (front and back).
- BArch, N 1006/432, fol. 13 (or fol. 3ff. or fol. 12-15)
- BArch, N 1773/1, p. 77 (or S. 77)
- BArch, RW 19/234, fol. 4.
If you also wish to indicate the fonds description, please write:
- BArch, RW 19 (OKW/Wehrwirtschafts- und Rüstungsamt)/234, fol. 4.
The guidelines for images are slightly different, as the author must be named as well. Please cite in the following order:
- The official abbreviation for the Federal Archives, "BArch"
- The image number and – separated by a forward slash –
- The author.
- BArch, Bild 183-85458-0001 / Junge, Peter Heinz
- BArch, B 198 Bild-2016-0922-002 / Weber, Günter